Centrum im. Ludwika Zamenhofa
Mediateka CLZ
Contrast:brightness_6
Font: A A+ A++

Oral history

Memories and experience are some of the most valuable gifts that the older generation can give to the younger. In the LZC Media Library we collect valuable accounts of witnesses of history, we compile and share them.

The interviews are recorded using the narrative-biographical method, which involves recording the free expression of a witness about their entire life. This type of narrative takes into account the subjective perspective of such issues as: local culture, ethnicity, tradition and customs, religion, or identity. Stories recorded in this way are unique, different for each person. Thanks to this, they allow to get to know the individual view of people who saw the interwar period, World War II and the beginnings of the Polish People’s Republic with their own eyes.

We are constantly looking for witnesses of history – people who have spent the last 60, 70 and more years in Białystok and would like to tell us the story of their lives, describe important events as they remember them. If you are such a person or know someone who would like to tell their story, please contact the BCC/LZC.

arrow_back

Wakuliński Stanisław

Stanislaw Wakulinski born the 7th of January in 1923 in Pobirki near Siemiatycze in the family of Maria (nee Marczuk) and Jan Wakulinksi. His father was a carpenter. In 1932 family moved to Bialowieza. There he finished elementary school, and then he attended to teaching high school in Hajnowka. In Bialowieza he stayed to 1944. At the end of II world war he arrived to Bialystok hoping that he began arts education. Between 1945 and 1950 he attended to department of sculpture of State College of Fine Arts in Gdanski based in Sopot. He charged education in a workshop of prof. Marian Wnuk and prof. Stanislaw Horno-Poplawski. In 1950 after reaching a graduation, together with his wife and daughter, he moved to Sierpc, where he worked for a few months as an economic referent in cooperative work. In 1951 he arrived to Bialystok. He realized many orders on boards, plaques and medals. In the same year he was admitted to Association of Polish Artists. From 1951 he worked in Art Secondary School in Bialystok, at Kilinskiego street. He worked there to 1959, to the moment of moving this school to Suprasl. He ran there classes from sculpture, figure and composition. In 1952 he stayed plastic in Institution of Anatomy of Human at Bialystok Medical Academy, where the manager was prof. Tadeusz Dzierżykraj-Rogalski. He was working there for 41 years, to retirement in 1993. He made many medals and sculptures to order of Academy authorities, and many teaching aids, e.g. models of organs made of plaster, boards, diagrams. His first workshop was situated in former laundry on Piasta street, no. 2. About 1955 he was managed to adapt so called “tower” (former well) in the fence of Branicki`s Palace. In 1962 he moved to specially designed and built workshop on Proletariacka street. In the 60s of 20th century he was a curator of five open air workshops for youth sculptors in Lipsk near Biebrza. For this town he made a monument and couple freestanding sculptures and so called guideposts made of wood and stone. Between 1973 and 1974 when Museum of Army moved on Kilinskiego street no. 7, he and his son Jan made an arrangement of permanent exhibition. In the 70s of 20th century he projected and made main and side altars, confessionals, baptismal font, ceiling keystones and chandelier to the Church of Sacred Heart of Jesus on Traugutta street. He also made main altars in the following churches: Saint Jadwiga of Silesia in Loje, saint Stanislaw in Bialaszewo and in the church in Braniewo, in the diocese of Warmia - Mazury. The monuments made by artist are in many places in our region, e.g. Lapy, Elk, Kolno, Monki, Sejny, Lipsk, Grabowka, Wysokie Mazowieckie, Plonka Koscielna. He is an author of many commemorative plaques connected with places of executions, projects of banners, jubilee medals, interior decors of chambers of memory. He specialized in making masks – print of face, which were very accurate portrait, with even small details. Membership in exhibitions: Annual regional exhibitions, Exhibition of 15th anniversary of Polish Sculpture in Warsaw, Nationwide Exhibition in Radom, Exhibition of four voivodeships: Lublin, Rezszow, Kielce, Bialystok – 1963, Exhibition of Painting and Sculptures – Bialystok 1980, Exhibition of Painting and Sculptures –Lipsk near Biebrza 1980, Collective Exhibition of Sculptures – Bialystok 1975, Exhibition of Sculptures – Gallery name Slendzinski Bialystok 2009.

Photos and documents